June is National Migraine Awareness Month, which is dedicated to helping spread awareness and understanding about migraines. This year's campaign theme is "help make Migraines visible!" in an attempt to reduce myth, misconceptions, and stigma about migraines, while also trying to increase research funding for better treatments.
Over the years more dentists and neurologists have discovered that the cause of long term headaches are correlated with a misalignment in a person's bite, many times due to TMJ.
Over 37 million people suffer from migraines in the United States alone. Migraines can often interfere with day-to-day activities and make it difficult to function. In an effort to spread some awareness about this debilitating condition, here are a few facts that many are unaware of:
- Approximately 1 out of every 4 households includes someone who experiences migraines
- Someone in the U.S. goes to the ER with a headache or migraine every 10 seconds
- 50% of those who get migraines don't realize they have them
- You can have a migraine without having a headache
- Severe migraine attacks are classified by the World Health Organization as among the most disabling illnesses, comparable to dementia, quadriplegia and active psychosis
- In some instances, headaches and migraines can be treated with neuromuscular dentistry
If you experience frequent headaches, migraines, or jaw pain with no known cause, we recommend having your bite evaluated to determine whether or not it is related to a dental issue. Contact Medical Arts Dentistry at (912) 355-0605 to schedule your appointment with Dr. Carla Roher today. We serve the areas of Savannah, Richmond Hill, and Garden City, Georgia.